Cyber risk is one of the most important risk areas affecting financial institutions today. No country, industry, community or individual is immune to cyber risk, but there are steps you can take to minimize your chances of an incident at work or at home.
The four most important steps to protect your business against a cyber threat are:
- “Whitelist” the applications allowed on your system. Do not allow employees to install any application they choose.
- Keep your operating system up-to-date.
- Keep all software applications up-to-date.
- Restrict administrator rights to only those who need them.
At Work and Home:
- Educate all users (employees, family and friends) about internet safety and cyber risks.
- If you receive an email from a familiar address, but you were not expecting anything, you should contact the sender before opening the attachment. Never open attachments unless you know the contents of the file.
- If you receive an attachment and you do not recognize the sender, you should delete the message.
- Avoid clicking on links inside of emails.
- Any request for information should be suspect, even if it appears to come from a friend, colleague, or a company you do business with.
- Use privacy settings and limit the amount of personal information you post online.
- Keep your operating system, browsers, and other critical software optimized by installing patches and updates.
- Create secure backups of important data on a regular basis.
- Use caution using removable media like USB drives. They are popular for storing and transporting files from one computer to another. However, these same characteristics make them appealing to attackers.
- When you approach an ATM, check for some obvious signs of tampering at the top of the ATM, near the speakers, the side of the screen, the card reader itself, and the keyboard. If something looks different don’t use that ATM.
Contact Us today with any questions or for a quote.
Commercial Insurance Contact Information
- Andy Shafer, President – firstname.lastname@example.org (865) 292-1128
- Jason Tallent, Vice President of Construction Services – email@example.com (865) 292-1106
- Aaron Jensen, Producer – firstname.lastname@example.org (423) 239-6235
- Stacy Woodard, Producer – email@example.com (865) 292-1137
- Bill Rowland, Account Executive – firstname.lastname@example.org (865) 292-1133